As a disclaimer, this awesome company sells these workflow charts for pretty reasonable, and I think they are beautiful. I probably would have bought them instead of made them except that I'm A] Craft obsessed and B] Frugal so it's hard for me to buy something when I could possibly make it. In hind-sight, it would have probably been 110% worth the investment because I think theirs are prettier than mine turned out to be, and mine did take quite a bit of time. But anyway! :)
First, I dug through all the available frames at our local Salvation Army Thrift Store and found a handful that I liked. I had ideas in my head of what I wanted to great - I wanted a big calendar, I wanted a post-production chart [for my editing workflow] and then a place to keep all of my wedding clients in one place, so I could see what still needed to be done in their pre/post wedding workflow. Plus I wanted a couple others for fun photos of Matt and I, and one for my logo.
Once I found frames that would work and I cleaned them up a little bit with a damp rag, I spray painted them white so they would all match. Then came the tough part - making the charts!
The downside to doing it this way is that you're writing with a whiteboard marker and even though I found the finest-tipped ones I could, they still smear a little. It's sometimes hard to read what I wrote, and it looks messier than it would have if the steps had been printed directly on the chart. But to avoid the hassle of remaking/reordering a new chart with each production change, I can deal with the hint of messy!